I love baking and this recipe is one my mom always used to make. Markus loves it as much as I do (as do his co-workers who have already gotten a few trays of it). Keep on reading to find out how to make mom’s apple cake!
THE EASY RECIPE FOR APPLE CAKE
Truth be told, my mother isn’t the biggest sweets baker. She prefers baking savory things and is quite good at it too! But there are two cakes she bakes and one of them is this apple cake. Her whole family loves it too and that’s saying something since they always like to find something to pick on. I even think the first thing I baked myself was this very same apple cake! Well, not this exact one, obviously. It’s a pretty straightforward recipe too!
THE INGREDIENTS FOR APPLE CAKE
You will calculate the ingredients based on how many eggs you take. For the sake of this post, I am going to say I used 4 eggs, at a total of 200 grams (which I think is around the weight I used). You then use the rest of the ingredients based on the weight of the eggs. If you use more eggs, you get a bigger cake.
- 4 eggs – 200 grams
- 200 grams flour
- 200 grams room temperature butter
- 200 grams sugar
- Baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3 – 4 apples – the less sweet the better in this case.
- Optional: some lemon juice
To be honest, I use half the sugar and it is more than enough for us. This is a personal preference and you should do whatever works best for you! The butter is also what will give the cake the moisture texture it has, so don’t cut it out.
PREPARATION OF THE APPLE CAKE
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and line the baking tray.
- Peel and then cut the apples into eight pieces/slices. Mix with the lemon juice if you want to.
- Beat the butter with the sugar until the mixture is fluffy and add the eggs one by one.
- Once the mixture is white and airy, add the sifted flour with the baking soda and the salt. You can add a bit of cinnamon here as well if you wish.
- Pour the mixture on to the baking tray.
- Now on to the apples: simply put the apples with the wider side up into the dough. Do this all around the tray, with the apples very close together (trust me on this one, they will get farther apart when the cake bakes).
- Sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar on top.
- Let it bake for 35 to 45 minutes (check it after 30 min, depending on the oven it can take longer or less time to bake)
- Enjoy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream if you’re feeling fancy or a cup of coffee if you’re an impatient person like me.
This cake is pretty much my go-to cake if I need to bake something quickly. It’s fool-proof and I have yet to find a person who doesn’t like it! Share your pictures with me if you bake it, I’d love to see them!