Have you ever had carrot cake? As in, a cake made with carrots? I must confess I had never actually tried it, even though it is a very popular cake! Recently I really wanted to try it, so I did what every savvy person does: I googled a recipe. And since it was so yummy and easy to make, I am sharing it with you today. After all, it was time for another recipe here on the blog!
THE INGREDIENTS FOR CARROT CAKE
For the cake:
- 250g carrots
- 4 eggs
- 100g oil
- 180g sugar
- 220g flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
For the chocolate cover:
- 100g dark chocolate
- 80g heavy cream
I didn’t use as much sugar though since the carrots themselves are already pretty sweet tasting (and the boyfriend is always complaining that sweets are too sweet.) For this cake, I used 100g sugar, but you can decide for yourself how much you want to use.
PREPARING THE CARROT CAKE
To make the cake:
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C
- Grate the carrots (or use a kitchen machine)
- Mix the carrots with the eggs, oil, and sugar. Beat them together until the mixture is somewhat fluffy.
- Add the flour and baking powder and mix them well.
- Pour the mixture into a baking tray or cake tin. Depending on the type of tin you have, you can use some butter and flour, so the cake doesn’t stick to it.
- Bake for around 40 minutes.
Please bear in mind the baking time may vary! I only needed to bake my cake for 30 minutes. Once the cake is done, take it from the tray and allow it to cool, before going on to the chocolate.
To make the chocolate cover:
- Take the chocolate and the heavy cream in a pan or bowl and heat it up until the chocolate melts.
- Mix the chocolate with the cream, until both are combined and you are left with a chocolate cream.
- Let it cool until it isn’t warm anymore.
- Spread it over the cake.
Enjoy the carrot cake with a good cup of coffee or tea! Best enjoyed with friends or loved ones. It is also a good way to
lie to trick children into eating their vegetables!
Have you ever tried carrot cake? I really liked it! Let me know with whom you would enjoy eating a slice of this yummy cake!