I made it my own resolutions to try and cook more at home this year. But since I only know how to cook 2 dishes (ok ok…maybe 4…or 5…), learning or trying new things was also a must.
Last week I decided to try something new, with Markus being super supportive (probably thinking how he’d sneak a pizza in without me seeing it.) In the end, we both loved it! Check it out:
What you’ll need:
- One big onion and some garlic;
- Chickpeas (I used some in a can);
- Veggies of your choice (I just used some frozen mixture and some mushrooms);
- Tomato sauce (500ml)
- Rice and vegetable broth;
- Cream (optional – I ended up no using it);
19What you need to do? Follow these instructions!
Make the rice:
- Cut the onion and use half with some vegetable oil in the pan or pot.
- Once the onion is almost clear, add in a bit of the garlic. Stir a bit.
- Throw in the rice and then comes the trick: I use vegetable broth instead of water! Just dissolve half a cube in the water and you’re good to go!
Make the chickpea goodness:
- Take the rest of the onion and put it in the pan with some vegetable oil again.
- Put in the mushrooms (I used some in a can we had – rinse before using).
- Pour a bit of the tomato sauce and then the frozen veggies. Let it simmer for a bit.
- Now it’s time for the chickpeas! Rinse the can and mix them with the rest of the veggies.
- Pour in the rest of the tomato sauce. I used a bit of water to “clean” the bottle and use the most sauce I could.
- Season as liking – I used some cumin, oregano, salt and a bit of pepper – you can use what you want!
- Time to poach the eggs in the sauce mixture! Just gently pour them in, as many as you wish and close the lid, letting it simmer and cook for as much as you like.
That’s it! How easy is that? Seriously guys, if I can do it, anyone can! And you can change it as you like – put some meat in it, change the rice for pasta or potatoes, use chili instead – the options are endless!
What do you guys think? I’d love knowing your opinions!